Friday, September 16, 2011

The Digital Era ?

Just finished reading a blog by the CEO of blackbook who deactivated his facebook account.

Blog link.

Found this blog while I was browsing tumblr.

What he essentially said made a lot of sense.

Technologies are getting more and more advanced. Every year there are new versions of smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc. People just can't seem to stay away from their phones and tablets (I'll leave the laptop out since we don't really bring our laptops around, now do we?), even for a mere 5 minutes. Especially nowadays, with phones being able to connect to the internet with data plans or with WiFi connections. It makes people glued more to their phones/tablets. It also becomes a peer pressure thing. You can easily get pressured to be connected just like your friends.

People also enjoy interacting more with others digitally rather than hanging out and meeting up face-to-face as it is more convenient to do so. And when they do meet up with others, they still can't help but constantly checking their phones every minute and second. (No objections here, your honor.... Guilty! lol)

We have becoming more and more addicted dependent to our phones, which is sad and annoying at the same time. Btw, I hate it when we're hanging out and somebody is constantly on their phone, bbm-ing and whatsapp-ing all the freaking time! Well, maybe since I don't have those (or a data plan lol) then I can say this. Who knows what I'll do once I have my data plan wekekekeke...

But seriously, people can you please stop looking at your phones for just an hour or two while we're going out and being social.. Pretty puhleeassee... It annoys me immensely. If you don't even want to go out then DON'T! It's as simple as that.

Back to the blog, I think I should propose his experiment (turned off their iPhones and Blackberrys, committing to not even glance at them until they’d left the restaurant) to my friends next we hang out and see what will happen.
Also, I sometimes want to deactivate my facebook account as I've becoming bored by it and yet I couldn't stay away. *sigh*
Maybe I should try it and stay away for a few days and see what happens when I'm away from it.. =D

We shall see...

0 comments: